Electricians : 071 533 64 66

Residential | Guest Houses | Hotels | Restaurants | Commercial

Certificate of Compliance

The following is a guide to understand the process of obtaining a Certificate of Compliance for the property that you will be selling:

The cost to an inspection and report for a standard 3 bedroom house is R850 ex vat.

If no faults are found then a Certificate of Compliance will be issued at no extra cost.

For larger residential properties and commercial / industrial property we will have to quote this separately due to the complexity of the work.


1. An physical, visual and instrument test will be done. If all the testing is deemed correct then a certificate of compliance will be issued.

This cost will be a minimum of R850 ex vat for a three bedroom house.

The larger the property, the more inspection fee will be due the intensity of the work.

2. If issues are detected, these will be documented on a report, and emailed with a corresponding quotation for work to be done so a certificate of compliance may be issued. 

To save your self money please refer below to "Helpful Hints to save you money"


It’s compulsory to be in possession of a valid Electrical Certificate of Compliance (CoC) when selling your home.

This is a provision of the Electrical Installation Regulations which came into effect in 2009 under the Occupational Health And Safety Act (No. 85 of 1993).

Although the CoC is valid for a period of two years, it’s only necessary to have the house inspected when it’s to be sold: you don’t need to have it done as long as you plan to remain in possession of the property. 

The document verifies that the electrical work and installations that have been completed on the property are up to standard in accordance with the regulations as required by the South African National Standards.

While the certificate covers distribution boards, wiring, earthing and bonding of all metal components (include antennae and satellite dishes), as well as wall sockets, light switches and the isolators of fixed appliances, it doesn’t cover the fixed appliances themselves (geysers, stoves, motors, fans, under-floor heating.

Please note that Commercial and Industrial require valid Certificates of Compliance.


Electrical Certificate of Compliance does not cover fixed appliances for example:

  • Geysers & Stoves
  • Motors & Fans
  • Under floor heating
  • Pool motors

Please note: The wiring ONLY to fixed appliances are covered by the Certificate of Compliance.


For the purpose of transfer of ownership, an Electrical Certificate of Compliance older than 2 years may not be used.
If any electrical work was done after the certificate was issued, a new Electrical Certificate of Compliance will be required.


  • The best advice one can give is to have the inspection done early, before a potential buyer is introduced to the property. This may help you to make decisions that will reduce the costs of repairing any defects.
  • Garden lights – the wiring to garden lighting is often done incorrectly and can be costly to rectify. These can be removed rather than re-instated.
  • Extension leads – temporary leads are often installed for the owner’s benefit and can easily be removed.
  • Additional exterior lighting – these are often non-compliant and can be removed rather than re-instated.
  • TV antennae – may no longer be in use – remove. If the seller leaves it as a fixture it will need to be bonded.
  • Decorative water features and ponds – as fixed appliances, these items require isolators. This is seldom done correctly and can be costly. The electrical supply to these features can be removed to save costs.
  • Electrical installations to wendy houses – are often done illegally. Removing the supply can reduce the costs.
  • Light bulbs – are consumables and are not covered by the Certificate of Compliance. However, it is good practice to ensure that all fused light bulbs are replaced before the inspection is done. This will reduce wastage of time during the inspection process.

All new, altered, and temporary electrical installations must have a Certificate of Compliance which includes a Test Report.

Test Instruments required for Certificate of ComplianceTest Instruments required for Certificate of Compliance

All work undertaken and the Test Report must conform to SANS-10142.

SANS 10142-1 is also known as the Wiring Code.

SANS 10142-1 covers the following:

a) Circuits supplied at nominal voltages up to and including 1000Vac or 1500Vdc. The standard frequency for alternating current is 50Hz.

b) Circuits, other than the internal wiring of apparatus, that operate at voltages exceeding 1000Vac and are derived from an installation that has a voltage not exceeding 1000Vac.

c) Any wiring systems and cables not specifically covered by the standards for appliances.

d) All consumer installations external to buildings.

e) Fixed wiring in the power supply circuits for telecommunication equipment

The wiring of premises:

1.1 SANS 10142 applies to electrical installations of:

a) Residential Premises

b) Commercial Premises

c) Public Premises
d) Industrial Premises
e) Prefabricated Buildings
f) Fixed surface installations on mining properties
g) Construction and demolition site installations
h) Agricultural and horticultural premises
i) Caravan sites and similar sites
j) Marinas, pleasure craft and house boats
k) Medical locations (Master Electrician)
l) Exhibitions, fairs and other temporary installations
m) extra low voltage lighting installations
n) electrical installations for street lighting and street furniture
o) Equipment enclosures (structures that provide physical and environmental protection for telecommunication equipment).